Lakeside Manor & Historic Paintworks in Gibbsboro, NJ
Gibbsboro’s heritage dates back to the early 1700’s, when the first settlers built saw and grist mills on the many streams that flowed through the heavily wooded forest. The first mill, a saw mill, was built by George Matlack in 1714 on Hilliard’s Creek. Another saw mill was built by Enoch Core in 1731 in the center of what is now Gibbsboro. Many other mills were established along the streams in the later 1700’s and early 1800’s.
Ford’s Mill, located on Silver Lake (where Lakeside Manor resides) was purchased by John Lucas and Joseph Foster in 1852 and transformed into the “Gibbsboro White Lead, Zinc and Color Works” paint factory. The company, which developed ready mix paint known for it’s shades of green, essentially put Gibbsboro on the map and changed he town from a cluster of mills serving the local farms into and industrial village.
By 1887, the prosperity of the Lucas paint works was such that a spur rail line was constructed from the main Camden to Atlantic railroad line to Gibbsboro. The spur line was created to handle the volume of products and ensure the continued success of the enterprise. The Lucas operation employed 300 people in 1886 and 700 in 1909.
The Paint Works continued to be in operation until the early 1980’s at which time it was redeveloped into an office research complex called appropriately “The Paint Works.”
In 1991, Kevin McFadden of McFadden Catering opened Lakeside Manor, which is available April through November for weddings and other banquet events.
Email or Give us a call today for a free consultation! Phone: 609-845-5660 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org